Wednesday, September 22, 2010

IRONY IN MEDIA

One of the unforgettable events in my life is meeting Nick Vujicic. Nick is a 25 year old man, but has no arms and no legs. He has accomplished more than most people even twice his age. He is a speaker who goes from one country to another in order to share with students, teachers, men and women about his massive achievements in life, inspiring them to follow their dreams. Having heard his lecture, there are many things which I know I will remember forever. For example, Nick said that when you want to do something and the whole world tell you that you can't, then "get a second opinion". Nick encourages people that everything is possible and opportunities arouse from failures. All people need inspiration and we must all focus on our strengths and not weaknesses. Nick said that he has something which no-one could take away from, that is his beautiful and gorgeous eyes.



I was so touched and inspired by Nick's lecture, and I went up stage and gave him a hug. I told him, "Your eyes ARE beautiful". He replied, "Thank you, I love you". I was shivering after that moment because of this admirable person who is a true hero and role-model.
In my opinion, Nick Vujicic deserves admiration for his strength, determination and endurance. But I got irritated when I saw people hugging him for the sake of taking a picture with him. I mean by that, that they used his publicity and fame. They were so excited to take a picture with Nick Vejucic in order to share this picture on Facebook, or their BlackBerries.
I know many people would love to take a picture with other famous figures such as performers, or actors, and many people want to take pictures next to famous landmarks such as Eiffel Tower or the Egyptian Pyramids. I don't mind that, because it is considered a "cool", and keeping a good memory. Normally, people take pictures for 3 reasons, to remember, to share and to show. But maybe I am over-reacting to people taking pictures with Nick Vejucic because I think he deserves to be treated equally, and respectfully. He should NOT be treated as if he were an attractive figure or like a media attraction object. I think he should be treated in a more valued manner because he IS unique and not the same as the other celebrities.

No comments:

Post a Comment